I would like to preserve the newlines in the input parameters of my tool.
I already found out that I can preserve the other characters such as ^,@ and
more using the following xml code.
   <inputs>
       <param name="input" type="text" area="true" size="40x80" label="some
input">
         <sanitizer>
           <valid initial="default">
             <add preset="string.printable"/>
             <remove value="&quot;"/>
             <remove value="\"/>
           </valid>
       <mapping initial="none">
             <add source="\" target="\\"/>
             <add source="&quot;" target="\&quot;"/>
           </mapping>
         </sanitizer>
       </param>
   </inputs>
But this makes it not possible to preserve newline characters, they are all
still replaced by spaces.