When using the 'upload via filesystem path' option for data libraries, Galaxy
will use the file "as is" without decompressing it. In practice, this means
that you'll need to decompress it before uploading it to a library because
Galaxy tools expect the dataset to be uncompressed.

This is, of course, different behavior than seen when uploading a compressed
dataset. In that case, Galaxy will decompress the dataset as needed.

Best,
J.