Dear all,

Until recently I'd not needed to define new datatypes while
developing tools for Galaxy - instead using (and sometimes
modifying) existing datatypes in situ. I have been manually
'installing' my in-development tools by added their XML
files to tool_conf.xml - and this has worked fine to date.

However, I would now like to experiment with defining or
modifying datatypes which would eventually be defined via
a datatypes_conf.xml file in a ToolShed entry.

My impression from reading the latest wiki documentation
on http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Tool%20Shed is that I will have
to install my own local tool shed.

Is there a simpler alternative? e.g. Can I add the new
datatypes_conf.xml file(s) to a configuration entry instead?