Hi,  Galaxy Developers,

This is just a follow up to my previous response;  I was able to get things
working, and have pasted our apache configuration below for anybody else that
search the mailing list with similar problems.  Our implementation
authenticates against UNIX LDAP and use a group for authorization.  So far we
have not had any problems with the following configuration ( I realize this is
already similar to what is posted on the wiki).  Thank-you again for your help,
Greg.

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} off
RewriteRule (.*) https://%{HTTP_HOST}%{REQUEST_URI}

<VirtualHost *:443>
    LoadModule ssl_module modules/mod_ssl.so
    ServerName crigalaxy.uchicago.edu
    SSLEngine On
    SSLCertificateFile /group/galaxy/certs/crigalaxy.cer
    SSLCertificateKeyFile /group/galaxy/certs/crigalaxy.key
    SSLCertificateChainFile /group/galaxy/certs/crigalaxy_interm.cer
    <Location "/">
        Authtype Basic
        AuthName Galaxy
        AuthBasicProvider ldap
        AuthLDAPURL
"ldap://someldapserver.whateverdomain.edu:389/dc=uchicago,dc=edu?uid?sub?(objectClass=inetOrgPerson)"
 TLS
        AuthzLDAPAuthoritative off
        Require ldap-group
cn=uc:org:cri:galaxy:cri-galaxy_web_users,ou=groups,dc=uchicago,dc=edu
        RequestHeader set REMOTE_USER %{AUTHENTICATE_uid}e
    </Location>
    RewriteEngine on
    <Proxy balancer://galaxy/>
        BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8080
        BalancerMember http://127.0.0.1:8081
    </Proxy>
    RewriteRule ^/static/style/(.*)
/group/galaxy/galaxy-dist/static/uchicago_cri_august_2012_style/blue/$1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^/static/scripts/(.*)
/group/galaxy/galaxy-dist/static/scripts/packed/$1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^/static/(.*) /group/galaxy/galaxy-dist/static/$1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^/robots.txt /group/galaxy/galaxy-dist/static/robots.txt [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*) balancer://galaxy$1 [P]
</VirtualHost>

Dan Sullivan