We're using ldap authentication on our cluster, so our /etc/passwd files don't
have any user data and the credentials are returned by ldap. You will have to
adjust this to your situation. You can rsync /etc/passwd from elsewhere or
fiddle with PAM to work something out for your key-based setup. Sorry, I don't
have more insight into that part.

Regards,

Alex