On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 2:00 PM, James Taylor <ja...@jamestaylor.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 6:32 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Would a pull request implementing this be acceptable?
>
> Yes. My understanding is that ASN is a completely flexible metaformat,
> like XML, and so should be under either Text or Data, with appropriate
> subtypes defined for blast, et cetera.

Thank James,

Yes - very like XML, but with the subtlety that ASN.1 comes in text and
binary favours (which I presume applies to all the variants, although
the binary versions may not be as commonly used for the smaller files).

Nicola - do you want to make a pull request to galaxy-central defining
ASN.1 text and binary formats (which we can then subclass for the
NCBI BLAST+ wrappers)? Or should I?

I think the mime-type for the base ASN.1 text format should probably
be text/plain based on the NCBI usage patterns.

I'm not sure what the mime-type for the base ASN.1 binary format
should be (but I don't think it should be chemical/ncbi-asn1-binary).

Regards,