Alex, if I am not mistaken you guys are using a fairly old version of
the multiple file dataset code. I think on the server side you would
need to apply the following three changesets to update the library
backend to support the creation of multifile datasets (I guess if you
are doing path pasting only the first changeset is really needed):

https://bitbucket.org/msiappdev/galaxy-extras/diff/lib/galaxy/webapps/galaxy/controllers/library_common.py?diff2=25e137130d32&at=stable
https://bitbucket.org/msiappdev/galaxy-extras/diff/lib/galaxy/webapps/galaxy/controllers/library_common.py?diff2=a15ce4c00716&at=stable
https://bitbucket.org/msiappdev/galaxy-extras/diff/lib/galaxy/webapps/galaxy/controllers/library_common.py?diff2=d2ae2265bc96&at=stable

If your version of Galaxy is likewise pretty old you will need pull
request 123 as first
(https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/pull-request/123/refactor-library_commonpy-toward-more/diff).

Once those are in place updating example_watch_folder.py should be
pretty doable (Hagai Cohen had it working at some point):

1) You will need to replace:

data['upload_option'] = 'upload_paths'

with

data['upload_option'] = 'upload_paths_multifile'

2) You will need to specify a name (e.g. add something like:
data['NAME'] = os.path.basename(fullpath))

3) Multiple file datasets do not support data['ext'] = 'auto', so you
will need to specify an explicit format there (the script will
hopefully be able to determine this from the inputs).

The most updated version of the multiple file dataset stuff
https://bitbucket.org/msiappdev/galaxy-extras/ paired with the most
updated version of blend4j (https://github.com/jmchilton/blend4j) are
compatible and if you do enough digging can provide insights on how to
create multiple file datasets via the API (library path pastes,
library server directory uploads, and history uploads).

Hope this helps,
-John