Simon,

  Very cool! I have two concerns. Rather than adding a new
configuration option I think I would prefer to just check the
configured dependency resolvers and then infer from them if the tool
shed will be used. The configuration option strikes me as having to
configure the same thing twice, and this change would make your setup
slightly easier. Do you have any objection to me reworking your patch
to do this? On the other hand, perhaps it is made more clear to the
deployer that they are definitely disabling tool dependency
installations if they have to add the explicit option this way.

  Greg, Dave have you looked at this? In particular, do you think
there are any downsides to marking a ToolDependency as installed if
nothing has actually been installed by Galaxy? Would it be better to
add new option - EXTERNALLY_CONFIGURED?

-John

P.S. I know I said I would merge that module stuff last week, but
usegalaxy.org is running off of galaxy-central right now and I am
being extra cautious about not breaking galaxy. It will get merged
though!