At Mon, 4 Nov 2013 23:03:08 -0600,
John Chilton wrote:
> As you have probably noticed a new stable galaxy was released. It
> includes 95% of what we discussed including this implicit check to see
> if tool shed packages are enabled. Your help implementing, testing,
> and driving these changes was greatly appreciated!

Hi John,

Thanks very much for this!  I'm afraid I won't be able to have a go at
this immediately, as I'm a bit swamped with other stuff right now, but
I'll certainly be getting round to it at some stage.

> I couldn't however pull the trigger and mark packages resolved via
> modules as "Installed" - so they will still appear to be in an error
> state (though your check is in there and they won't attempt to be
> installed, they will be just marked as errors).

> The reason I don't want to mark these packages as "Installed" is that
> I am worried about Galaxy deployments that maybe want to use modules
> are first but transition to tool shed packages down the road. I am
> unsure what will happen if things are marked as "Installed" even if no
> files corresponding to the installation exist. I think the state
> NEVER_INSTALLED may be preferable - but I need to understand more
> about what that means. For your own instance, if you are certainly
> committed to using modules and not using the tool shed - it should be
> easy to apply the above patch. Is this a fair compromise for the time
> being?

This sounds sensible.  When I have a moment, I will probably
investigate the idea of a new tool state
INSTALLED_WITH_EXTERNAL_DEPENDENCIES.  That would enable someone to
see from the installation status screen what system packages need
installing by the local sys admin, and not compromise the record of
whether the dependencies have been installed from the toolshed.

cheers,
Simon