Hi Carl,

Although still under initial development, you may want to look into the
visualization registry for the infrastructure to render the region and allow
the user to interact with it:
http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/VisualizationsRegistry
http://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Events/GCC2013/Abstracts#Events.2FGCC2013.2FAbstracts.2FTalks.How_to_Create_Your_Own_Web-based.2C_Interactive_Visualizations_for_Galaxy

In a nutshell, it allows you to configure and include a link from the history
panel to a custom page that you create with the mako templating system and the
javascript you'll need for the interactivity. Galaxy resources (like your
initial dataset) are parsed for you and available in the template.

For the other half of the problem: creating new data from the interaction of
the user, you'll want to look into the tools API (which is what Trackster
uses). Still somewhat rough, there have been improvements to it lately that
should allow you to run a tool based on user input and keep the chain of
reproducibility.

Two things to note:
1. I'd recommend not using the upload tool via the API: not because it doesn't
work but because adding arbitrary data this way won't be reproducible.
2. Both the visualizations registry and the tools API are still under
development. Feel free to contact me on IRC, email, or the mailing lists if you
have any trouble though.

I hope that helps and let me know if I can provide any more information,

Thanks for the advice above and your kind offer of further help. I will
investigate some more.

Steve

Carl

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Stephen Taylor