That advice did the trick, thanks Greg.  I only had .loc files in the upload
set; didn't know about the .sample version or tool_data_table_conf.xml.sample.
One thing, did I miss reading the documentation on this somewhere or is this
workshop type knowledge?
From: Greg Von Kuster [g...@bx.psu.edu]
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2014 1:21 PM
To: Dooley, Damion
Cc: galaxy-dev@lists.bx.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [galaxy-dev] Toolshed throwing error when reading tool's XML

Hello Damion,

Tool Shed repositories that contain tools that include dynamically generated
select list parameters that refer to an entry in the tool_data_table_conf.xml
file must contain a tool_data_table_conf.xml.sample file that contains the
required entry for each dynamic parameter. Similarly, any index files (i.e.,
~/tool-data/xxx.loc files) to which the tool_data_table_conf.xml file entries
refer must be defined in xxx.loc.sample files included in the tool shed
repository along with the tools. If any of these tool_data_table_conf.xml
entries or any of the required xxx.loc.sample files are missing from the tool
shed repository, the tools will not properly load and metadata will not be
generated for the repository. This means that the tools cannot be automatically
installed into a Galaxy instance.

For those tools that include dynamically generated select list parameters that
require a missing entry in the tool_data_table_conf.xml file, this file will be
modified in real time (when it is installed into a Galaxy instance) by adding
the entry from a tool_data_table_conf.xml.sample file contained in the tool
shed repository.

Based on your problem description, it seems that your repository may not
include a required xxx.loc.sample file.

Let me know if adding one does not solve the problem.  Is your repository in
one of the Galaxy team;'s public tool sheds?

Greg Von Kuster