On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 1:51 AM, John Chilton <jmchil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm.... So my understanding of the way Galaxy sort of iteratively
> builds up tool parameters is that each time there is a state update it
> validates all of the old state (this is where the red errors come
> from) and then generates the new state - but it never validates the
> new state before re-rendering the form. At the beginning the whole
> state is "new" and this is why you don't get the red warning initially
> for the column not existing but you do upon subsequent form
> re-renders.
>
> The easiest way to demonstrate this behavior is take an empty history
> and click on the concatenate datasets tool. There are no warning
> initially even though the data parameter is empty and invalid - but if
> you click to "Add New Dataset" to the tool - it re-renders and you get
> a warning on the first data input but not on the new one. Same thing
> happens to the second input if you add another dataset to the repeat.
>
> I do not know why the initial state is not validated, but the
> following quick patch forces that new state to be validated if you
> want this behavior. It implements the red warning you were hoping for
> (at least on the initial rendering of the tool). A more complete patch
> might seek to validate all new state - or re-validate everything after
> state has been populated.
>
> https://gist.github.com/jmchilton/72767b794445fae63426
>
> Anyone aware of pitfalls of enabling this behavior? Anyone besides
> Peter feel it is an issue that should be addressed?
>
> -John

Hmm instead. This is a tricky one, and I don't know enough about
the internals to have a technical opinion here.

That sounds like it would solve my use-case, which is good.

The potential downside of this is it could give red error boxes on
things like required parameters with no default value - that might
be considered scary/unfriendly?