Hello Eric,

The public Galaxy test and main Tool Sheds are for sharing validated,
functionally correct tools with the Galaxy community, not for developing them.
As you've discovered, developing tools using the public Tool Sheds results in
undesired behavior since you have restricted control over what can easily be
eliminated from sharing.  The primary reason for this is the Tool Shed's goal
of reproducible analyses in galaxy.  Any version of any Galaxy utility uploaded
to the public Tool Shed will always be available for installation into Galaxy.
This is the behavior you've seen when changing dependency versions, and similar
behavior results when any Galaxy utility (tools, custom datatypes, Galaxy Data
Managers, etc) version is changed.

Instead of using the public Galaxy Tool Sheds for development, you should be
using a local development Tool Shed as a complementary component to your local
Galaxy development environment.  The general steps in the development process
are:

Set up a local development Tool Shed - see the "Hosting Your Own Tool Shed for
Developing Galaxy Tools and Utilities" section of:
http://gregvonkuster.org/galaxy-tool-shed-introduction/
Export repositories containing validated tool dependencies from the main Galaxy
Tool Shed into a capsule - see
http://gregvonkuster.org/galaxy-tool-shed-leveraging-community-contributions-repository-capsules/
Import the capsule into your local Tool Shed.
Create an empty repository in your local Tool Shed to contain the new Galaxy
tool.
Develop your tool in your local Galaxy environment, using the local Tool Shed
as a source code repository if necessary.
When development is finished, make sure the finished tool is available in hyour
local Tool Shed's repository and execute your local Tool Shed's Install and
Test framework to validate the tool - see the "Using the Install and Test
Framework With a Local Tool Shed" section of:
http://gregvonkuster.org/galaxy-tool-shed-certifying-repositories-install-test-framework/
Export the repository containing the tool from your local Tool Shed.
Import the repository containing the tool into the test and main Galaxy Tool
Sheds for additional validation and sharing.
Greg Von Kuster