Forgive me, I'm not 100% clear on the custom plugin system used by galaxy, but
if I "subclass" from the text data type, will sniffers I implement override
text's and function? The lack of being able to add an entry to the sniffer
section (unlike with the tabular example) led me to believe my genbank datatype
wouldn't be sniffed.

Additionally, I'd still like to be able to add completely new datatypes, do you
know of any working examples of this? As mentioned in my original post,
duplicating an existing datatype and changing names on it surprisingly doesn't
work.

I'd be lovely to have the emboss datatypes split out.

Cheers,
Eric