Problem with automation is I could create dozens of templates over the
next several years and consume less time in aggregate than it would
take me to automate this. Nonetheless, there is a documentation
component here that is important so I did enough to document - if
someone wants to automate from there feel free.

The template is just a copy of the sqlite database after a fresh
Galaxy is launched. I usually just do this against whatever
development instance of Galaxy I am working on. For completeness
though I have put together a script to automate this task against a
fresh install (I think):

https://github.com/jmchilton/galaxy-downloads/blob/master/build_sqlite_template.sh

Good luck!

-John