Hi Peter,

On July 22, 2014 3:15:41 AM CDT, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 6:51 PM, Eric Rasche <rasche.e...@yandex.ru>
>wrote:
>> Currently the checkout options consist of hg clones, and archives
>that
>> mercurial produces.
>>
>> Having pulled or cloned galaxy a few times lately, I'm wondering if
>anyone
>> would have a use for a once-run galaxy instance in an archive? I.e.,
>I'd
>> clone, run once to grab eggs and do the db migration, then re-tar
>result and
>> store online. Might cut down on build/test times for those who are
>using
>> travis or other CIs. Thoughts/opinions?
>
>Hi Eric,
>
>Given how close you can get now for minimal effort,
>this seem unnecessary.
>
>http://blastedbio.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/using-travis-ci-for-testing-galaxy-tools.html
>
>My TravisCI setup this fetches the latest Galaxy as
>a tar ball (from a GitHub mirror as it was faster than
>a git clone which was faster than getting the tar ball
>from BitBucket, which in turn was faster than using

Yes, that post was at least part of the thinking behind this.

>hg clone), and a per-migrated SQLite database
>(using a bit of Galaxy functionality originally with
>$GALAXY_TEST_DB_TEMPLATE added to speed
>up running the functional tests).

I know I've seen that used but was never able to get that working in practice
(then again I didn't try that hard). If that's a working/usable feature, then
that is already the majority of setup time. Eggs would be nice but not the
biggest thing in the world.

>Note this does not cache the eggs and all the other
>side effects of the first run like creating config files,
>so there is room for some speed up.
>
>Regards,
>
>Peter

Cheers,