Nate and John,

I managed to make sudo work with galaxy and TORQUE with some fixes:

1. the configuration for external runner/killer/chown cannot be read from
ether universe_wsgi.ini or job_conf.xml.
    I haven't looked into why but just hard coded them into the galaxy
source code.
2. drmaa cannot recognize the key word 'arg' and 'email'. Again I did a
dirty fix by deleting them in both drmaa.py
    and drmaa_external_runner.py.
3. 'sudo -E' will rename LD_LIBRARY_PATH to LIBRARY_PATH. So I have to
create a wrapper for each of the
    three scripts (runner/killer/chown) to correct this.
4. The sudo file should now contain the three wrappers. Here I would like
to point out an error in the user guide.
    Even for people who doesn't need the wrappers,  the chown script
shouldn't not be '/bin/chown' in the sudo file,
    but the python script /path/to/external_chown_script.py.

After these steps, I am able to run galaxy jobs as the real user. Now I
need to see how to fix 1 and 2 in an elegant way.

Ping