Hi David,
-1 on the composite datatype for star reference genomes idea

Let's use the existing reference genome and index file infrastructure -
star is not sufficiently different from bwa or bowtie to warrant anything
different IMHO - it works for us but generating the index files manually is
a pain - best to write a data manager.

Ross Lazarus
Head, Computational Biology, Baker IDI, Melbourne, Australia
Pubs: http://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=UCUuEM4AAAAJ