If you install pycurl (globally or in a Galaxy's virtualenv) and set
LWR_CURL_TRANSPORT=1 in Galaxy's environment than the LWR will stream
large files with CURL instead of the mmap hack.

I don't understand your second question - the LWR should stream
whatever data inputs are selected by the user. If you want the tool to
be able to take many inputs you can use multiple="true" on your data
parameter or use a repeat block.
(https://wiki.galaxyproject.org/Admin/Tools/ToolConfigSyntax).

Hope this helps,
-John