I could be wrong but I think the <install> tag should have some sort
of download action - I don't think tools are actually stuck in
$INSTALL_DIR like this - $INSTALL_DIR is where you can move or compile
downloaded files to. You might want to try $REPOSITORY_INSTALL_DIR
instead of $INSTALL_DIR - but really if you are going to just stick an
application next to your tool wrapper like this (I would consider this
an anti-pattern) I would just set your PATH in mytool.sh and not worry
about the tool shed install stuff at all. Maybe add something like

PATH=`dirname $0`/bin:$PATH
export PATH

To the wrapper mytool.sh.

As I mentioned - I think bundling applications with tools like this is
something of an anti-pattern even if you can make it work. The best
practice here would be to try to separate packages with binaries from
repositories that contain tools and create a format "package_mytools"
repository that is just responsible for installing the binary mytool.

Hopefully this helps,
-John