Hi  Björn,
I'm a bit old fashioned and think I prefer a proper Galaxy tool rather than
a notebook :) so I've set up a temporary demonstration/test site of a
toolfactory generated tool that does what I think I need - can some kind
soul please test it and let me know how it goes ? If it's useful, it needs
to be adjusted to depend on whatever version of package_R you want to work
with - currently just uses the system R for demonstration purposes.

I used the toolfactory2 (main toolshed) (which now allows any number of
(optionally non editable) parameters!!!) to wrap the script shown at the
bottom of https://wiki.galaxyproject.org/SetUpREnvironment. There are
currently three parameters - the names of the R/BioC packages from
sessionInfo(), the local directory where all the tarballs should be stowed
and the XML output prefix to prepend to each row of the generated XML
stanza for tool_dependencies.xml

The resulting toolshed tarball was uploaded to a local toolshed and then
installed to produce a new tool in the "tool generators" section
- r_bioc_depgen Generate dependencies for R/BioC packages

If you import the history at http://130.56.252.21/history/list_published
you will see the toolfactory job (#1,#2,#3) - rerunning will show how the
parameters are defined - fugly but it does work.
After generating/uploading/installing the new tool, outputs from a test run
are in #4 and #5 for DESeq

Comments and suggestions welcomed!