From: Dave Bouvier [mailto:d...@bx.psu.edu]
Sent: Monday, March 30, 2015 8:03 AM
To: David Trudgian; galaxy-dev@lists.galaxyproject.org
Subject: Re: [galaxy-dev] Safe / possible to sync toolshed tools and deps from
another machine?

Dave,

There are a number of things to consider when doing this, but it should be
possible. Things to keep in mind are, in no particular order:

The tool dependency path on the workstation should match what would be the path
on the server. A substantial number of packages link their libraries with
absolute paths, so any change in paths would of course break the package at
runtime.

The operating system, hardware, and installed libraries on the server should at
worst be a superset of those on the workstation, to avoid compiling packages on
the workstation that have dependencies not present on the server.

I would recommend setting the install_database_connection option in your
config/galaxy.ini file, so that you can export the database of installed
repositories and tool dependencies from the workstation, and import this to the
server without overwriting users, jobs, and so on.

If those hurdles are cleared, it's likely that installing and copying
dependencies from one system to another might work.

Another solution, more complicated to set up but easier to use, would be to run
a single install database that both systems access, and install the
dependencies on the workstation, into a network filesystem that is mounted in
the same path on both systems. You would still need to sync the
shed_tool_conf.xml across machines, but a restart of the server would then show
all the tools and their dependencies with whatever status they should have.

    --Dave B.