On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 6:50 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.c...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 11:29 AM, Saket Choudhary <sake...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Running tools anyway where the expected example.loc entry is
>>> missing is bad, but most tools would fail cleanly when given an
>>> empty path - so this is less critical than the first half of the bug.
>>>
>>> i.e. Can we address the side effects of Saket's commit?:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/galaxyproject/galaxy/commit/667c04844e35e76a698161fff6c88cb03be8396a
>>> https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/commits/757412c63654ff16f6cd6a0b6ff776b25e0b5b03
>>>

>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> Sorry, this really is a major bug. I agree this was pushed without
>> much testing. In fact, I did not at all consider the use case you just
>> pointed out. I can send a PR that simply reverts the change, since I
>> am not sure I will have enough time to look into it deeper.
>>
>> Looks like I have broken more things than what I have contributed.
>>
>> Saket
>
> Thanks Saket,
>
> I didn't mean to criticize - only to ensure you were aware of this
> (in case you had any insight about how to fix it). Galaxy is amazingly
> complicated, so subtle side-effects like this can be hard to avoid -
> especially on the interactive side where testing is harder.
>
> [We don't yet have a proper test framework for workflows - although
> John has been working on that.]
>
> I don't understand this area of Galaxy at all (mako templates etc),
> so I think we'll need to defer to the full time developers who know
> this bit best.

Definitely - I will definitely take a crack at fixing it - though I
cannot do it this week. Monday I will set aside some to try to tweak
it so the fix for radio buttons will still work without actually
resubmitting every workflow parameter - if I cannot fix it I will
revert the commit.

-John

P.S.

I am with Peter on this Saket - I wouldn't feel bad - this is a really
subtle bug. I do know that feeling of being worried the bugs I have
added to Galaxy greatly out number the features though. I know that
you have not actually done this - but I have added so many more bugs
than you that I am less sure about myself.