On Wednesday, March 25, 2015, Björn Grüning <bjoern.gruen...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> We are proud to present you the next release of Galaxy Docker.
>
> https://github.com/bgruening/docker-galaxy-stable
> https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/bgruening/galaxy-stable/
>
> A few highlights:
>
> * based on Galaxy 15.03, with all it's new awesome features
> * Docker image is now based on Ubuntu 14.04
> * move all required Galaxy dependencies to toolshed/requirements

* use Ansible roles to build large parts of the image

Super cool. How many dependencies are you having to install from source
instead of from Debian packages (either official or 3rd party)?

I think Docker has a lot of usefulness for complicated setups; for software
packaging I think making proper Debian packages benefits the entire
bioinformatics community more. Bonus: you get a collaborative team (like
the Debian Med group) to share the burden.

I don't know what people's interest is in packaging tools and other
dependencies for Debian but I'd be happy to talk about it informally; give
a formal talk; present a poster; and/or host a BoF on the topic at the
Galaxy Community Conference in July.

--
Michael R. Crusoe