On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 2:34 PM, Björn Grüning <bjoern.gruen...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> Am 07.04.2015 um 21:46 schrieb Michael Crusoe:
> > On Wednesday, March 25, 2015, Björn Grüning <bjoern.gruen...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all!
> >>
> >> We are proud to present you the next release of Galaxy Docker.
> >>
> >> https://github.com/bgruening/docker-galaxy-stable
> >> https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/bgruening/galaxy-stable/
> >>
> >> A few highlights:
> >>
> >> * based on Galaxy 15.03, with all it's new awesome features
> >> * Docker image is now based on Ubuntu 14.04
> >> * move all required Galaxy dependencies to toolshed/requirements
> >
> > * use Ansible roles to build large parts of the image
> >>

> > Super cool. How many dependencies are you having to install from source
> > instead of from Debian packages (either official or 3rd party)?
>
> A few python packages from pypi, npm and a self-build nginx to get some
> extensions in that are currently not available in the official build.

Neat. From personal experience I can tell you that packaging PyPI hosted
Python code is pretty straightforward. And
https://www.npmjs.com/package/npm2debian looks decent on that front.

> > I think Docker has a lot of usefulness for complicated setups; for
> software
> > packaging I think making proper Debian packages benefits the entire
> > bioinformatics community more. Bonus: you get a collaborative team (like
> > the Debian Med group) to share the burden.
>
> Sure, if you have any ideas what we can package? I don't think we have
> much packages that are not from Debian :)

The above mentioned python packages, npm packages, and that nginx for
starters :-)

> > I don't know what people's interest is in packaging tools and other
> > dependencies for Debian but I'd be happy to talk about it informally;
> give
> > a formal talk; present a poster; and/or host a BoF on the topic at the
> > Galaxy Community Conference in July.
>
> I think that in general the entire problem of deployment is very
> interesting for the Galaxy community and we have a lot of ideas how to
> make it better in/with Galaxy. Not sure about Debians role here, as we
> are aiming for a reproducible installation of tools over time.

package name + version + hash + http://snapshot.debian.org/ (as needed) =
reproducible

Also: see https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds

> I will organise a BoF at BOSC to talk in a more general way about
> deployment w/wo docker, packages, bioboxes, brew, conda, easyinstall and
> so on ... would be great if you can join!

Huzzah, I will be at BOSC & GCC both and will join in.

> Thanks for caring!

Of course; cheers,

--
Michael R. Crusoe