When you say NGS, is it genome assembly?  If so, what type of genomes and do
you have experience with its memory and cpu requirements.  We noted that
servers with large amount of memory and cores have a memory bus bottleneck.
The other aspect is high processing on the server will impact the performance
of Galaxy unless it is given higher priority.  Note that if you overcommit the
server, it can destabilize and bring down the Galaxy web app and database.

My general approach is Galaxy web app + proxy on a separate machine from the
handlers.  The analysis server is either running a grid or the handlers.

I recommend multiple smaller servers if you can get away with it as long as you
have one that can accommodate your LARGE workloads.  If you don't care about
overall performance, large servers are the way to go as they are more
"versatile".

Regards,

Iyad Kandalaft

Acting Chief Bioinformatician in Biodiversity, STB
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada / Government of Canada
iyad.kandal...@agr.gc.ca / Tel: 613-759-1228 / TTY: 613-773-2600

Bioinformaticien chef de la  biodiversite interim, Direction générale des
Science et de la technologie
Agriculture et Agroalimentaire Canada / Gouvernement du Canada
iyad.kandal...@agr.gc.ca / Tel: 613-759-1228 / TTY: 613-773-2600