So, I tested out against 15.07, and same issue.  I figured out what was
giving me the "History does not include a dataset collection of the correct
type or containing the correct types of datasets" error message, it was
because I left out the *format* attribute in the tool XML.  However, after
setting the *format* attribute I get another error message "State
validation failed." when trying to use the tool in a workflow.  This same
error message shows up for the *collection_creates_list *tool in Galaxy as
well:
https://github.com/galaxyproject/galaxy/blob/dev/test/functional/tools/collection_creates_list.xml.
I get the following message in the log file:

galaxy.tools ERROR 2015-08-10 13:11:36,144 Checking parameter input1
failed. local variable 'rval' referenced before assignment

Yeah, I know the size list is pretty hacky.  It is just so that I can use
the structured_like="" attribute.  I did think of using the dynamic output
collection, however I noticed that it only works with the updated workflow
scheduler to schedule workflows in the background.  My application
currently uses the information about number of jobs completed/total number
of jobs (example 10 completed/20 total) to create a progress bar for a
workflow.  I assumed that scheduling workflows in the background would
break this since there's no way for me to know when Galaxy is finished
scheduling all jobs (or is there?  I haven't looked too closely).

I did discuss this tool a bit more with some people over here and decided
against pursuing it for now.  I was trying to get a mixture of single-end
and paired-end datasets working in Galaxy for an upcoming conference, but I
can do without it and there's a lot of other work to do.  It also doesn't
make sense to hack something together if better support will be making it
into the main Galaxy code base sometime soon.

Thanks again for your input.  It helped me out a lot,

Aaron