Hi Aaron,

we touched this recently here:
https://github.com/galaxyproject/tools-devteam/pull/267

I believe that if you specify the repository_dependencies.xml of your suite
in the following way:

<repositories>
<repository changeset_revision="f2ab5b44870d"
name="fasta_clipping_histogram" owner="devteam" toolshed="
http://toolshed.g2.bx.psu.edu"; />

you will pin the exact revision of the tool (fasta_clipping_histogram here)
to that suite. Then you can have suite_fastx_toolkit_0_0_13 and
suite_fastx_toolkit_0_0_9 repositories which will install the requested
versions of the tools.

M.