Sorry for the lack of a response on this - I think this fell through
the cracks because no one has worked directly on the FTP import
backend for a long time. I did have need for a configuration value to
prevent Galaxy from deleting files as you requested and implemented
that today.

https://github.com/galaxyproject/galaxy/pull/2168

It has been merged into dev and should be included in Galaxy 16.07
this summer (a freeze on features for 16.04 was issued last week).

As for cleaning things out after three days - that hasn't been
implemented but it would be best implemented outside of Galaxy with
cron job or a tool such as tmpreaper.

-John