How do I make my custom kernel the default when starting a Jupyter interactive
environment?

I have written a native Jupyter kernel for Groovy, that is, a Jupyter kernel
written in Groovy that listens to, and responds on, the appropriate ZMQ
sockets.  I have also extended the bgruening/docker-jupyter-notebook docker
image to add my kernel and modified the jupyter.ini file to use my Docker image.

This all works.

I can launch a Jupyter Notebook (or use 'jupyter console --kernel groovy' from
the command line) and interact with Galaxy.  I can launch an interactive
Jupyter environment in Galaxy and select 'Kernels -> Change kernel -> Groovy'
and all of the above works fine; I just want my kernel to be the default.

Research Associate
Department of Computer Science
Vassar College
Poughkeepsie, NY