Hello Matteo,

The UCSC Genes table knownCanonical is one source for gene names, but another choice would be the RefSeq Genes track's primary table "refGene". When extracting from the UCSC Table browser, use the output file type of "all fields from selected table". The gene name will be under a column labeled as "name2" (as defined in the extended genePred format at UCSC and which is not included in BED or GTF format output file types).

As the other users have pointed out, a valid GTF file format for the Cuff* programs to use is the goal. Currently, some manipulation of the available reference files from many of the common sources is necessary to get the formatting correct. The Galaxy team is aware of the issues with external files concerning format and is working on potential solutions.

Thank you for your patience while we work out the kinks with the newly added tool suite,