Hello,

To use a custom genome with the alignment tools at Galaxy Main (http://usegalaxy.org), the dataset must be in fasta format. If the data is RNA, then using the tools in "NGS: RNA Analysis" will accept both a reference custom genome and a transcript file in GTF format to guide placement (using TopHat as the preferred alignment tool).

It is important to note that the Main Galaxy site does not offer a BLAST option (with the exception of Megablast against a specific set of genomes), but a local or cloud instance would, using the BLAST tools in the tool shed and setting up your own data.

Some help links:

If using the RNA Analysis tools at Galaxy Main:
http://main.g2.bx.psu.edu/u/jeremy/p/galaxy-rna-seq-analysis-exercise
http://main.g2.bx.psu.edu/u/jeremy/p/transcriptome-analysis-faq
http://galaxyproject.org/wiki/Learn/Upload%20via%20FTP

If using a local or cloud instance:
http://getgalaxy.org
http://galaxyproject.org/wiki/Admin/Cloud
http://galaxyproject.org/wiki/Tool%20Shed

Hopefully this offers you a choice that will work for your project,

Best,

Jen
Galaxy team