Hi Clare,

Galaxy is fairly transparent, so this occurs sometimes and can mean that either the server is very busy or there is another problem, perhaps with the dataset.

Please note that mpileup is not supported yet, just pileup, although this is on our short list of to-do upgrades. If you used mpileup, this could very likely be the root cause of the tool error ("server error"). You can track the upgrade to mpileup through this ticket:
https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/issue/524

To troubleshoot a pileup file:

1 - double check the format of your data again the specification as outlined on the tool form for "NGS: SAM Tools -> Generate pileup from BAM dataset".

2 - try running the file type assignment again the job again to double check against a transient error.

If pileup was used and the cause of the error is still unclear, we take a look we can provide feedback. Please share a link to your history using "Options -> Share or Publish" from the top of the history panel, generate a share link, then email that back to me directly. Please note which dataset presents the problem and confirm that "samtools pileup" was used.

Thanks!