Yes, galaxyData is the only persistent volume you have in your data only
cluster, so everything should go there.  SCP should work for getting data
there, unless the file is already hosted somewhere in which case wget is
probably a better choice.

And yes, FTP is configured specifically for Galaxy uploads and is unavailable
in the case of a non-galaxy cluster.  The usernames used for logging in, etc,
come straight from the Galaxy database.