David, I can answer your first question, but will leave it to others to answer
your second as I am less likely to answer it correctly.

Regarding uploading files from your server, use the "Upload files (to data
libraries) from file system paths but do not copy into Galaxy's default file
store".  For details about the various upload options to Galaxy data libraries,
see
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Data%20Libraries/Uploading%20Library%20Files.
For complete details about Galaxy data libraries, see
http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/Admin/Data%20Libraries/Libraries.

Greg