Thanks Deanna,

This is good information to share. We will be pulling the updated cow genome from UCSC and including in the full genome name the exact source/release notation, along with the short label that UCSC assigns.

This information is already in the Galaxy builds list for the cow genomes - including those without data yet incorporated (the builds list is a pull-down menu on the 'Edit attributes' form, reached by clicking on the pencil icon, or by assigning a database when uploading a file). Enter "bos" into the search box for a list.

For individual tools, we tend to just use the short label to keep the tool forms less cluttered. The short labels we use are the most common identifier for genomes (when available) and are unique. When we create them, we tend to use a 'Genus_species_build-identifier' type of nomenclature.

For the full credits/details about how any UCSC genome was put together (and by whom), the "Credits" page at the UCSC Browser should be referenced, along with the README files on their Downloads server. For non-UCSC Genomes, the full genome name includes enough details about the specific release to locate the source and find similar information. We don't do any chromosome renaming, so there is very little to nothing specific to declare in terms of processing credits on the Galaxy side, we basically just obtain the genome and integrate it as-is using the same methods as declared in the local NGS setup wiki.

Great to clarify this information!

Jen
Galaxy team