Hi Diana,
What type if instance did you use? You should use at least Large instace
type. And did you make sure to format the user data as described in the
wiki (http://wiki.g2.bx.psu.edu/CloudMan, under Step 2)?

An alternative approach (which, granted, has not been publicized much yet)
is to use http://bioCloudCentral.org and start your instance via that
portal. I just tested it and and instance with Galaxy configured and
running was up in about 5 minutes. When filling out the form, you may want
to choose the Galaxy AMI (vs. the default CloudBioLinux one - which will
also work) by clicking on the Advanced Options and choosing Galaxy Cloud
AMI from the drop down menu).

Let us know if you still have trouble,
Enis