Hi,

Just wanted to add a few clarifications here.  It definitely *is* currently possible to transfer a workflow from one instance to another instance that does not have (some or all) of the tools for a particular workflow.

The error you're running into "No JSON object" means that you likely have the wrong link to your workflow.  The one you want is accessible via the workflow context menu -> Download or Export -> URL for importing into another galaxy.  Or, you could just download the raw file if you want and upload that as you figured out.  The format of the correct URL should look like this, note the "for_direct_import" in the string:

As a correction to what was previously said, I would not recommend stripping out tools from an existing workflow prior to export.  When you upload the workflow to a new instance, if tools aren't available you will see something like the following when you edit the workflow, which specifies that the tool is not found:

And at this point the unrecognized tools can be installed if it's your galaxy server, or if you wish, removed from the workflow via the editor.  This must be done before the workflow will be usable.

Lastly, workflows don't contain any data, just the organization and parameters of steps for a process.  What it sounds like you're looking for (to get your data there as well) is a history export, which is available through the menu at the top of your history as "Export to File".

-Dannon