install. At first glance this appears to be because of the "
@SOMETHING<space>READINFO" read names not being handled correctly by bowtie.
This is not a galaxy issue per se but what are other users doing to avoid this
problem. We are using bowtie v. 0.12.7 (going to upgrade soon) at the moment.

Posting a snippet from the alignment file below:

MACHINE_NAME:2:1101:1533:1944 1:N:0:CGATGT      4       *       0       0
*       *       0       0
NACGAAACGGGTCGGTCCGTCGGCATAGCGCGCCACGGCCTGCGGATCGG
#4=DDFFFHHHFHIJHIJIHIIJJJIIIIIJJIHHFFDDDDDDDDDDDDD      XM:i:0
MACHINE_NAME:2:1101:2523:1962   16      chr5    80936209        255     50M
*       0       0       CTAAAAGGAAAAATTCCAGGGATTAAGGAACTTGAAGTTAGAAAAACTAN
IIJJJIHHJJJIHFEIHIJIIJIJJJJIIJIIGJJIJFGHHHFEDAD=4#      XA:i:1  MD:Z:49C0
NM:i:1
MACHINE_NAME:2:1101:1596:1971   16      chr13   41692461        255     50M
*       0       0       GCTGAATAATAGTCCATTGTGAACATATACCATGTTTTCTTTATTTTTAN
JJJJJJJJJIJJIJJJJJJJJJJJJJJHFJJJJJJJJHHHHHFFFFD=4#      XA:i:1  MD:Z:49T0
NM:i:1
MACHINE_NAME:2:1101:2670:1962 1:N:0:CGATGT      4       *       0       0
*       *       0       0
NTGCACTCGCCTGGATACCGTCGCCGGTGAGGTGGCATTCGAACACACCC

--Hemant