Dear All,

In order to figure out the Mean Inner Distance between Mate Pairs of my
paired-end RNA-seq datasets, I ran Bowtie (Map with Bowtie for Illumina) with
both forward and reverse datasets and mouse mm9 as reference genome. Below I
list the Bowtie output for only one pair of reads (I put the fields on the left
side):

For the forward read
QNAME:   SRR322837.8.1
FLAG:    99
RNAME:   chr1
POS:     163761156
MAPQ:    255
CIAGR:   36M
MRNM:    =
MPOS:    163761301
ISIZE:   181
SEQ:     NTGGATACTATTTTGCCATAAAAAAATGAATAAAAT
QUAL:    %(,,')(())@@@2235885<<22222@@@######
OPT:     XA:i:1 MD:Z:0A35      NM:i:1

For the reverse read
QNAME:   SRR322837.8.2
FLAG:    147
RNAME:   chr1
POS:     163761301
MAPQ:    255
CIAGR:   36M
MRNM:    =
MPOS:    163761156
ISIZE:   -181
SEQ:     TATTATGTCAATCTATGAAGAAGGACGGCGAGGTGA
QUAL:    GDBE@B>EEGDB=BD-=GG>GGGEDDG<GBGD8GB?
OPT:     MD:Z:29A6      NM:i:1

Is the ISIZE the insert size? The difference between POS and MPOS is 145bp,
which is 36bp shorter than ISIZE (181). My question is: if ISIZE does mean
insert size, how should I convert INSIZE into Mean Inner Distance between Mate
Pairs?

Thanks,

Jianguang Du