Hi Hiram,

Thanks for contacting us about the issue, I hope I can help to clarify. Datasets in Galaxy histories exist until a user deletes them.

On 10/5/12 9:57 AM, Hiram Clawson wrote:
Good Morning Galaxy Universe:

What is the data expiration policy at Galaxy for user created
big* files that are then subsequently used in custom tracks
at UCSC ? We are noticing users with bigDataUrl paths of:
https://main.g2.bx.psu.edu/display_application/.../somefile.bigwig
which appear to be expiring. The UCSC users have these tracks saved
in UCSC sessions expecting the data to live as long as their session.

I note when I attempt to access this type of https URL, it says:
ERROR: certificate common name `bigsky.bx.psu.edu' doesn't match
requested host name `main.g2.bx.psu.edu'.

And if I alter main.g2 to be bigsky.bx.psu.edu, the returned information
says:
"This dataset has been deleted, you cannot view it at an external
display application."

This error indicate that the original dataset was deleted in Galaxy by the user. Perhaps they misunderstood how session links to custom track bigWig data function (as you know, these are still hosted from the Galaxy history, not loaded/moved to UCSC beyond the viewing session)?

If you want me to examine this or the problem with the redirect, which we are pretty sure is a side-effect of the dataset not existing anymore, please have the user share the data with me (can send direct, off list, to keep private). They should generate a share link from the Galaxy history containing the dataset, share the UCSC session with a link, and let me know which UCSC custom track to examine and which Galaxy dataset they believe it is pointing to. If there is a problem, we definitely want to track it down.

Thanks again!

--Hiram