Hi Vanessa,

Mean inner distance can be thought of as being the estimated gap left between the two ends of the paired reads. This is from the manual (also at the bottom of the Tophat tool form):

-r  This is the expected (mean) inner distance between mate pairs. For,
example, for paired end runs with fragments
     selected at 300bp, where each end is 50bp, you should set -r to be 200.
There is no default, and this parameter
     is required for paired end runs.

In short, take the insert size, subtract the length of both sequenced ends, and that is the "Mean inner distance".