Hi, Kim.
Side-scroller is a style of game that was heavily seen on Atari and NES
game systems. They were basicly 2D games with only four general
directions of movement up, down, left, and right. You usually went up by
climbing up something or jumping to that level. The same with going
down. You climbed down or jumped to that level. To walk you moved the
controler left or right in the direction you wanted to go.
Since I had useful vision back in the 80's I did play allot of the
side-scroller games Pitfall, Montezuma's Revenge, Double Dragon, Marrio,
Legend of Kage, Ninja Turtles, Megaman, Castlevania, just to name a few
of the major ones I played.
As to the second part of your question a game engine is code written by
a game developer which supports the operation of games. This can include
libraries for creating game creatures, characters, and objects, audio
backends for playing of sounds, code to handle game controllers, etc.
To explain how this is useful say tomorrow I was going to work on
Marrio. Well, it is a 2d game and the Monty Engine is set up to handle
that sort of movement. I already have classes to handle walls, swinging
ropes and vines, ladders, maze construction, etc.
Well, I can use all that in the new game and change or modify the level
code to mirror what I want instead of a sandy temple flor it is now a
grassy field, or instead of a lava pit it becomes a pool of water, etc.

Kim Etheridge wrote:
> Cool! My idea might actually make a difference here. By the way, what's a
> side scroller engine, and how does it work?

>>> place. Take the dragon caves for example. You'd have to hear the dragon