Hi Shaun,

Snip
  the vista interface if thats like ie7 with toolbars that can't turn
off and search
boxes that are core components, I wouldn't upgrade, I'd rather get xp...
End Snip

You are getting the point. The Vista interface is basically a fully
integrated Internet Exploder 7 which is which is a fully integrated core
part of the operating system. Somehow that seams like a violation of the
Netscape case, but we are talking Microsoft.

Snip
I also can't afford the large memmory and other things I'd need for
systems to run
vista, the 512mb ram system will not cut it and the 1gb minimum is
reported as just
cutting it.
End Snip

That is also true. I generally follow the rule of double what ever
Microsoft says the requirement is. If they say 512 MB. give it 1024
which is a GB. of ram. If they say 1 GHZ processor give it 2 to b safe.
The main reason is that those requirements Microsoft gives are
technically true, it will run, but it will not run well or be practical.