Hi Dark,
I have many of the effects you were talking about such as gusting wind,
burning torches, dripping water, etc as I have allot of that stuff for
Montezuma's Revenge as well as a couple of games yet to be announced and
built.
As far as sharing sound effects I suppose the Audio Games Maker comunity
can make a library of sounds and share them around, but the problem I
see with that is uniqueness.
Here is an example of this. When James North started Monty he was
heavily depending on sound effects from Monkey Business. Especially the
temple level. That is fine as they were originally his sounds, and he
passed them on to Josh when James turned Monkey Business over to him.
So when I took over Montezuma's Revenge I discovered a nice sound
effects library on the source code cd, and most of which were from
Monkey Business. Although I am perfectly in my right to go ahead and use
the sounds he had planned for Montezuma's Revenge I have been hoping to
come up with my own temple effects for Monty and get away from sounding
like Monkey Business. Main reason is uniqueness. I want Monty to sound
unique not like 10 levels of Monkey Business's temple level.
My first Alpha release used many of the Monkey Business effects that
shipped with the source, but now in Alpha 2 I have replaced a good
number of effects with higher quality and more unique sounding effects.
Montezuma's Revenge shouldn't sound like Monkey Business when the finish
product is released.
Bottom line what i am saying is it would be a shame to have 30 nice new
games, and almost all the sound effects are the same. We want sounds to
sound different much as vidio games pride themselves on different and
better graphics.
You are right wind effects, gun shots, etc probably don't differ much
from game to game. However, it is time to be careful how many common
effects you use or your game play might be different,but your game
sounds just like everyone elses.