Hi Shaun,

As I said there was a number of major changes made between 1.1 and
2.0. Those changes introduced compatibility issues between 1.x and 2.0
.NET applications. As it happens newer .NET Frameworks like 3.0, 3.5,
4.0, and 5.0 come with backward compatible libraries for .NET 2.0 and
later but have no backward compatible libraries for 1.0 and 1.1. The
.NET 1.x libraries are deprecated and so were removed from the .NET
Framework and .NET developers are expected to update their code to
reflect this change accordingly.

However, in principle the .NET Framework is suppose to provide
developers with a write once run anywhere solution by targeting the
.NET Framework rather than any specific Windows platform. If You write
a .NET 4.0 application on a Windows 7 system it should run fine on
older systems running Windows XP and Vista that have .NET 4.0
installed, various mobile phones, and of course is forward compatible
with Windows 8. While in principle that is suppose to be how it works
I've encountered cases where it does not really work out that way.

For example, 32-bit and 64-bit compatibility issues. By default .NET
apps are compiled using the Any CPU flag. This usually works most of
the time, but if you include 32-bit libraries in a .NET app and try to
run it on a 64-bit OS it will crash. Same if you include a 64-bit
library in a .NET app and try to run it on a 32-bit system. It will
blow up big time. The solution for those sorts of problems is to
specifically target the .NET platform such as x86 or x64 so that your
.NET app will initialize the proper runtime environment and
compatibility libraries rather than choose the default for the system.

All I am saying is while Microsoft has tried to make .NET into a write
once run everywhere solution sometimes things go wrong and it doesn't
quite work out that way. Not all .NET apps are compatible with every
version of the .NET Framework, and it is up to the developer to
resolve those compatibility issues.. Most of the time compatibility
issues are due to error on the .NET developers part such as using the
Any CPU flag when x86 was required for compatibility reasons, or the
app was built using some now deprecated library or API that was
removed from the framework.