Yes, there are very legitimate wrestling holds and moves that are done, and I am not ignoring them. However, my point is that, to me, professional sports should be just that; professional. Throwing someone through furniture or busting furniture across someone's head is not wrestling. If crossing the fowl line is not allowed in amateur bowling, it would also not be allowed in professional bowling. Professional wrestlers should wrestle, not do anything that is not wrestling. Maybe I am a purist, but shouldn't they stick to reasonable rules? If not, then the sport should be renamed to better classify what is and is not allowed. I think that a lot of fighting and illegal play should be clamped down on in a lot of professional sports. The NHL and NBA are prime examples. If these athletes are in a professional sport, they should be penalized for not being professionals. If you put your shoulder down and ram into someone who is in front of you who is a defender, you should be called for charging rather then the defender charged with blocking. If you hit an opponent with a hockey stick, you should be out of the game. They should act like, and be, professionals. You can have a very entertaining hockey, basketball, or wrestling match even if you follow the rules. Illegal and unnecessary violence, merely to keep the fans interested, is not needed. If it is, then there's something wrong with this picture. I prefer seeing basketball rather than basketbrawl.

---
Be positive! When it comes to being defeated, if you think you're finished, you! really! are! finished! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 18, 2013 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] professional wrestling - Re: The Psychology of First Person Shooters

Hi Charles,

Yes, I do see  your point, but as I pointed out in professional
wrestling there is both wrestling and a lot of the extra stuff you
mentioned. The WWE is definitely one for having a lot of artistic
stunt work such as throwing people through tables, people getting
thrown from ladders, being beat over the head with steel chairs, the
reff getting knocked out during a critical point in the match, and I
agree that stuff is not wrestling. That stuff is just stunt work to
keep the fans interested in the ongoing storyline.

However, at the same time there is some very technical wrestling
involved here which you seem to be ignoring. Every pro show I have
ever watched has some basic wrestling such as reverse chinlocks,
headlocks, arm drags, hip tosses, and so forth which are just as apart
of an amateur match as a pro show. If that stuff is not wrestling then
what is it?

I guess it sounds to me you are making a case for all or nothing which
I don't think it is that black and white. From what I am getting from
your messages  if pro wrestling is half wrestling and half stunt work
then it is not wrestling. However, if you go to your local high school
match which has no stunt work and 100% wrestling that is wrestling.
That is just too black and white for me as I think there is a gray
area here that you seem to be overlooking.

When I used to watch the wrestlers on TV, they would use something to cut
the opponent, break chairs on heads, put the referee out of commission, and

stuff like that.  This is not wrestling.

---