They sure are old technology, but they only cost $20 or so compared to thousands. No battery issues and very portable. Having said that, I don't use them, either, but I do have one, and it is an affordable option for producing brailled game key info.

---
Be positive! When it comes to being defeated, if you think you're finished, you! really! are! finished! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Sent: Monday, September 01, 2014 6:27 PM
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] What has happened to Liam?

Hi Charles,

You definitely show your age when you mention slate and stylus. In my
experience most younger blind people don't even know how to use one
let alone use it. With the growth of technology I only see braille
solutions like a slate and stylus becoming even less relevant to blind
users.

For example, in the 90's and early 2000's something like the slate and
stylus became obsolete when the VI market was flooded with note takers
like the Braille N' Speak, Type N' Speak, Braille Light, Braille Plus,
Pac Mate, etc. Now days a blind person is more likely to grab their
iPhone or iPad to jot down a quick note than anything else. There is
definitely a good reason for that.

When I first started losing my vision my VI teacher tried to teach me
how to use a slate and stylus along with using a brailler. Quite
frankly I never got the hang of the slate and stylus and even though I
could use it I found it painfully slow and tedious. So by the time I
went to junior high I got my parents to buy me a Braille N' Speak and
I put my slate and stylus in a drawer and pretty much forgot about it.
Most of my peers did the same.

If a sighted person were to write them down for you, could you read their
writing? A better solution would be a slate and stylus and a piece of heavy

paper.

---