I'd like to testify to the fact that babying your hardware will not necessarily make it last longer. As with any piece of computer technology, do a little research and you'll see plenty of stories from people who have had gear break almost instantly, and just as many stories of people whose same equipment has lasted decades under heavy abuse. Just because you baby your gear doesn't mean it won't up and fail on you some random day; in fact, if you abuse your gear a bit (like major data centers do with their hard drives) you'll find out early if you've got a solid piece of hardware or not. I'm not saying you should throw your laptop off a building, but at least if you end up crashing into something with it and everything fails, you'll find out quickly that you got a lemon.