Well said. I just finished drafting a similar post, but you said it far
better than I could.

From: "Thomas Ward" <thomasward1...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2014 1:02 AM
To: "Gamers Discussion list" <gamers@audyssey.org>
Subject: Re: [Audyssey] making things last

Hi Charles,

It seems you have completely missed the point. You assume that stress
testing a piece of hardware implicitly involves some form of abuse.
That's not necessarily the case. There are ways of stress testing
things without outright abusing it or handling it roughly.

Let's take for example a portable external hard drive. There is
nothing wrong with loading it up with a copy of various files they
might be working on and carrying it around in a laptop bag or carrying
case for a couple of months before adopting it as one's primary backup
drive. This doesn't mean outright abusing the drive, but exposing it
to normal working conditions such as traveling with one on a bus, in a
taxi, train, etc for a while rather than just assuming it is built
well and put all of one's valuable data on it for reliable backup.
Even then I'd suggest keeping a second external drive at home in a
desk drawer just in case that one fails.

For me, at least, stress testing is not taking that drive and hurling
it across the room like a baseball to see if it holds up. I'd frankly
be surprised if it took too much of that abuse. However, carrying it
around in a laptop case, a briefcase, or some other normal working
condition before putting too much important information on it is a
general way to see if the drive is reliable enough to store one's
important documents and files on.